Areas of Practice
Intellectual Property Litigation
Intellectual Property Licensing and Protection
Phone: 713.868.5560 ext. 125
Before joining Lorance & Thompson in 2010, Katie practiced as a solo attorney and dedicated the majority of her practice to assisting and serving small businesses and individuals with their copyright, trademark, intellectual property, and business litigation needs. She adopts the entrepreneurial values of her clients and acts as a champion for them in their efforts to grow and protect their intellectual property and good will. Because her practice was a small business, she is able to identify with and better serve her clients’ unique needs. Prior to having her own firm, Katie practiced for five years with a Houston boutique patent litigation firm. Although her practice started with patent litigation, she became involved in much of the firm’s trademark and copyright cases and developed a keen interest in those areas of the law. In addition to handling all types of intellectual property litigation in federal court, Katie is an experienced mediator, certified by the Harris County Dispute Resolution Center.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment for a client in a breach of contract matter against a preeminent advertising firm. Katie was an integral part of a sweeping sanctions award in this case that was a positive outcome for the client. This case also involved copyright infringement claims which were settled favorably for the client after sanctions were awarded by the court.
- Defended a party accused of copyright infringement in a matter involving online sales of e-books related to the body building industry between two close competitors. Katie was able to negotiate an amicable settlement on such a personal level that it allowed the parties to begin a successful business marketing relationship.
- Part of a team of attorneys representing an individual inventor in a patent infringement matter against as large computer corporation and other manufacturers of laptop computers involving a patent covering low-profile keyboards. Katie participated in two jury-trials, the first of which ended in a hung-jury. The case resulted in a favorable settlement after voir dire in the second trial.
- Member of a team of attorneys representing a California-based software company against several internet corporations involving a patent covering internet-based alert and notification technology. Katie participated in arguments during a Markman hearing against a very large and well-known software corporation. The case resulted in favorable settlements with all defendants shortly after the Markman hearing.
- Represented a college student and his family being sued by several movie companies for copyright infringement allegedly resulting from online downloads, and successfully negotiated a discounted settlement. This matter was handled pro bono and was one of many similar matters Katie handled on behalf of families who were sued by companies in the recording and movie industries.
Activities and Affiliations
- Texas Bar Association
- Houston Intellectual Property Law Association
- Now adminitted to practice in front of the Western District of Texas
- Admitted to Practice: State of Texas; United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas; and United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
Education and Professional Background
- J.D., University of Houston Law Center 2002 (Dean’s Scholar)
- BBA, University of Texas at Austin 1999 (Marketing)
Katie is married to her wonderful partner in crime, Chris Sunstrom who is a Senior Manager at Enaxis Consulting of Houston and serves numerous major energy companies. Katie is the mother of two sons, Evan and Henry, and enjoys chasing them, slaying dragons and getting bad guys in her spare time. Katie is actively involved in the revival of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows Thomas J. Rusk Heights Lodge #225. She is involved with the Houston web and startup community as well as the Support Local Grow Together (SLGT) movement.