Toxic Tort & Environmental Litigation
The Toxic Tort & Environmental Litigation attorneys at Lorance & Thompson, P.C. are focused on the many issues surrounding latent and long term exposure claims that continue to challenge carriers and their policyholders. We strive to evaluate cases early and on an individual basis to implement strategies geared toward achieving the client’s objectives based on the specific facts, the venue, and numerous other issues that make up all facets of complex exposure disputes. We work closely with our client, as well as science and industry leaders as experts and consultants to assist in the effective presentation of defenses or to resolve potentially meritorious cases quickly and cost-effectively.
The Toxic Tort & Environmental Litigation attorneys at Lorance & Thompson, P.C., along with the firm’s legal assistants, nurse paralegals, and support staff, have extensive experience defending clients in multidistrict litigation and mass torts arising out of alleged exposure to and contamination by a variety of hazardous and toxic substances and wastes. For more than twenty years, the firm’s Toxic Tort & Environmental Litigation attorneys have represented premise owners, employers, contractors, product and equipment manufacturers, retailers and others in matters involving exposures to asbestos, benzene, dioxin/agent orange, manganese, pesticides, talc, silica and other chemicals. Over the years our attorneys have successfully defended matters involving more than 50,000 plaintiffs.
Toxic Tort & Environmental Litigation attorneys at Lorance & Thompson, P.C. have achieved success both in and outside of the court room, and some select examples are set forth below.
Attorneys in Action:
- Obtained dismissals without paying any amount in settlement in Texas asbestos cases for more than 10,000 plaintiffs against a wire & cable manufacturer, and numerous additional cases against a steel manufacturing company and a California manufacturing company.
- Served as national coordinating counsel for manufacturer of nickel and cobalt alloys in mass tort litigation including coordinating with local counsel and managing corporate documents nationwide.
- Obtained summary judgment for employer in wrongful death case from long term exposure.
- Successfully defended $60,000,000 claim by more than 100 homeowners who sued a variety of refineries near Houston for numerous explosions, fires and gas releases. The case was tried in Federal Court for 7 ½ weeks resulting in a judgment that the plaintiffs received nothing.
- Successfully defended the operator of a salt dome storage facility in Mont Belvieu, Texas against numerous lawsuits filed by local residents and businesses regarding allegations of negligence, nuisance, misrepresentation and concealment, antitrust, conspiracy, enterprise liability, market share liability and concert of action, along with request for punitive damages.
- Tried 5-week case to a directed verdict in Federal Court on behalf of salt dome storage facility dismissing multi-million dollar claim for damages to property including the successful defense of an industry wide buyout of property owned by local residents in and around salt dome storage facilities.
- Experienced in effectively bringing scientific principles to the court room in Daubert/Frye challenges to plaintiffs’ consultants and witnesses; and
- Part of team representing insurers in a matter which set the legal standard for interpreting the “absolute pollution exclusion” in the case of National Union Fire Ins Co. v CBI Industries, 907 S.W.2d 517 (Tex. 1995).
The Toxic Tort and Environmental Litigation attorneys at Lorance & Thompson, P.C. strive to aggressively and efficiently represent our clients. We can provide consistent and effective representation in your toxic tort and other environmental exposure matters. For more information about Lorance & Thompson’s Toxic Tort and Environmental Litigation Practice, please contact us at (713) 868-5560 or via email.