Lorance & Thompson has a team of experienced attorneys who bring a unique expertise to bear on the multitude of issues facing the transportation industry. Whether in the boardroom or courtroom, our firm has a dedicated group of attorneys and specialists who can guide you through a maze of complex issues. We assist our clients in defending catastrophic personal injury cases, cargo claims, as well as business law, regulations, statutes, and insurance.
Our attorneys bring decades of experience in the defense of all aspects personal injury litigation. We have consistently achieved excellent results for our clients in personal injury claims where the damages are greater than the primary and excess insurance coverage. Lorance & Thompson will aggressively investigate and defend claims of any type. Our goal is an efficient resolution of any issue either through favorable court rulings, posturing the case for settlement or taking it to trial.
We have a long tradition of success and our attorneys are trained to handle cases of every size. From minor negligence cases with contested liability to catastrophic injury cases involving gross negligence, we will bring our expertise to bear on the issues facing your organization.
Lorance & Thompson attorneys have extensive transportation litigation experience and have long been involved in the representation of trucking companies and their insurance carriers. Additionally, we actively represent carriers in all modes of transportation; such as inter-modal, NVOCC, air, surface, rail, ocean small package and expedited, as well as, warehouse and third-party logistic companies.
Our multidisciplinary group of professionals includes attorneys, U.S. Customs brokers, reconstruction specialists and cargo experts. We are on alert 24 hours a day to respond to your organization’s transportation needs.
THE “GO TEAM”
As part of the “Go Team” our attorneys will immediately respond to the scene of any transportation emergency. We are available twenty-four hours a day to respond to any crisis. The largest transportation companies in the country call on the attorneys of Lorance & Thompson to make an emergency response. When called into action our “Go Team” is able to interview the driver, control the site, begin the reconstruction, secure the evidence and, if necessary, deal with the media. Immediate response is necessary to keep a bad situation from becoming even worse.
Attorneys of the Transportation Group at Lorance & Thompson have achieved success both in and outside of the court room, and examples are set out below.
Attorneys in Action:
- Successfully defended a defunct motor carrier in a catastrophic personal injury case. Plaintiffs had consistently demanded limits of the primary and excess insurance coverage. After extensive multi-state discovery revealed significant factual issues, the Plaintiffs eventually settled for $2,000,000 less than policy limits.
- Won summary judgment for a transportation company in a federal case based on interstate commerce. Lorance & Thompson obtained a favorable ruling that effectively reversed a growing body of negative case law. In publishing the ruling the judge incorporated and adopted the majority of our brief as her opinion.
- Successfully defended trucking company in jury trial against negligence allegations in which the plaintiff suffered amputated fingers and sought several hundred thousand dollars in damages; however, the jury only awarded a few thousand dollars.
- Successfully defended a trucking company and its driver against allegations of negligence when the plaintiff pedestrian was crushed between a loading dock and a tractor trailer that was in the process of backing into the dock. Despite allegations of improper lookout, faulty maintenance and significant injuries, jurors did not place any responsibility for the accident with either the trucking company or its driver.
- Defended trucking company where driver pulled away from dock while forklift operator was coming out of trailer allegedly causing plaintiff serious bodily injury. Plaintiff underwent open reduction internal fixation right calcaneus surgery on his right heel – negotiated settlement for 90% less than Plaintiff’s original demand.
For more information about Lorance & Thompson’s Transportation Practice, please contact us at (713) 868-5560 or via email.