The attorneys at Lorance & Thompson are particularly well qualified to handle your trademark filing and application needs. Trademark registration is a particularly important process for any business who offers services or goods to consumers. Trademark registrations preserve the goodwill of your company, its products and services and ensures that your customers will continue to identify your products and services with your brand and company.
At Lorance & Thompson, our attorneys know that branding is one of the most important aspects of marketing and public relations and strive to effectively advise clients through the entire branding process. Searching, choosing and registering your trademarks should be key aspects of that process and your trademark attorney should be intimately involved from beginning to end. Our attorneys, paralegals, and legal assistants have the knowledge and skills to conduct your national, worldwide, or custom trademark search. Lorance & Thompson also has the ability to monitor your registered marks and alert you to potential infringers.
Lorance & Thompson is particularly interested in serving the trademark registration, monitoring, licensing and litigation needs of small business, start up technology companies, web and internet concentrated companies, as well as mid-level and large corporations in all industries. Your company’s trademark registrations are key intellectual property assets and may, at times, need to be protected through trademark licensing or trademark litigation and lawsuits. If you think your company may need to sue for trademark infringement as a plaintiff or your company has been sued for trademark infringement as a defendant, the attorneys at Lorance & Thompson have the knowledge and skills to represent you or your company in these matters.
The attorneys at Lorance & Thompson have a broad background, with many different unique skill sets that benefit our clients’ interests. Lorance & Thompson is a unique firm in that there are really no inexperienced attorneys, and the younger lawyers are quickly called upon to assist the more experienced attorneys with a wide variety of issues. The close working relationship between the attorneys at Lorance & Thompson promulgates a similar attitude toward their clients’ position and interest, and the significant professional capability of the Lorance & Thompson attorneys benefits their clients. The attorneys at Lorance & Thompson stay with the firm because the firm has cultivated a culture of collegiality and the attorneys are very willing to assist one another when necessary to benefit our clients.
The attorneys who manage intellectual property litigation and transactions at Lorance & Thompson strive to aggressively represent our clients and, equally important, strive to provide superior service. We can provide the highest quality general counsel, litigation, and appellate representation available.
What is a trademark?
- A distinctive word, phrase, sign or indicator used by a legal entity to set its products or services apart from others in the mind of the consumer.
- Examples that can be entitled to trademark protection: words, symbols, logos, pictures, smells, sounds, trade dress, and (arguably) taste and textures.
Why get a trademark registration?
A federal trademark registration on the principal registry or the supplemental registry can be a valuable tool in protecting, defending and insuring your goodwill and intellectual property.
If a mark is successfully registered on the principal registry the Lanham Act provides many benefits including the following:
- Nation-wide Priority User
– Prevent others from using and registering similar marks
– After 5 years of consistent use; becomes incontestable
– Statutory remedies against infringers
– Constructive notice of your exclusive rights
– ® next to your trademark=legitimacy
– Deterrent to would-be infringers
- Becomes a valuable asset for your company
– Makes the intangible asset of your company’s goodwill more concrete.
– Can increase your ability to quantify that asset. Can use comparables.
– Allows you to transfer that goodwill via sale or license for $$.
- Improves your position in domain name protection and internet advertising.
For more information about Lorance & Thompson’s Trademark Practice, please contact us at (713) 868-5560 or via email.