For more than 35 years Lorance & Thompson, has been at the forefront in providing legal services to insurance companies, agents, and insured involved in coverage disputes and litigation. Our attorneys are experienced insurance coverage litigators who have a history of successfully representing insurance carriers and insured’s in a variety of insurance matters. Our experience in handling matters for both insurance carriers and their insured’s provides our attorneys a unique perspective in understanding disputes involving insurance policies.
The firm has a commitment to build strong, professional relationships with our clients and our attorneys take the time to understand each client and then develop and implement strategies geared toward achieving the overall objective. We recognize that litigation is only one answer to insurance coverage related disputes and we strive to evaluate cases early and on an individual basis to determine which cases should be litigated and which should be resolved.
Lorance & Thompson attorneys are experienced in representing clients in all insurance related claims. The firm has also developed a specialty in defending insurance carriers against allegations of violations of the Texas Insurance Code, violation of the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act (DTPA), bad faith, negligence, fraud and breach of contract litigation involving the handling of insured’s claims. Over the years our attorneys have addressed coverage issues concerning all types of policies, from the simple automobile policy coverage dispute to complex commercial CGL and excess policies disputes.
In order to keep up with the latest developments in insurance coverage law, our attorneys are active members of the Insurance Law Practice Group in ALFA.
Our attorneys have achieved success both in and outside the court room, and examples are set out below.
Attorneys in Action:
- Was part of the team representing insurers in a matter that set the legal standard for interpreting the “absolute pollution exclusion” in the case of National Union Fire Ins. Co. et al v CBI Industries, 907 S.W.2d 517 (Tex. 1995).
- Favorably resolved insurance carrier’s liability exposure under homeowner’s insurance policies in numerous mold claims.
- Prepared successful defenses in numerous bad faith claims for non payment of uninsured/underinsured benefits for nationwide automobile insurer.
- Obtained summary judgments for agents in claim involving dispute between agents and reinsurer involving alleged agency relationship between reinsurer and retail producer.
- Successfully resolved carrier’s multiple year exposure for millions expended in remediation of pollution sites against nationwide company.
- Obtained defense verdict for national life insurance company in contested suicide case involving high-profile insured.
- Obtained defense verdict for national insurance company and agent in breach of contract and bad faith case involving auto theft claim where policy was canceled for non-payment of premiums.
- Successfully represented a corporate officer against his company’s errors and omissions carrier for the failure to provide a defense in numerous lawsuits, resulting in settlement of a duty to defend case.
- Successfully represented a major homebuilder against a national insurance company in a failure to defend lawsuit.
- Successfully represented an agent in a Stowers claim against his errors & omissions carrier.
For more information about Lorance & Thompson’s Insurance Practice, please contact us at (713) 868-5560 or via email.