Lorance & Thompson has one of the best Health Care litigation teams in Texas. We have years of expertise in defending physicians and hospitals in complex medical negligence claims. We also have extensive experience in representing healthcare providers in non-professional liability matters such as: billing disputes with major commercial insurance providers and Medicare/Medicaid, state board licensure hearings, business formation, HIPAA compliance, contract and employment disputes, risk management, and regulatory compliance.
Our attorneys are recognized as preeminent in medical malpractice litigation. We have developed a trial team that is thoroughly familiar with the complexities of health care delivery. Our section includes seasoned attorneys with a long history of obtaining verdicts for doctors and hospitals. The section also includes RN/J.D.’s and nurse paralegals. This expertise allows us to successfully evaluate and defend virtually any type of malpractice claim.
Over the years we have created a rapport with some of the leading experts in a variety of medical specialties. Consequently, our clients have the benefit of nationally recognized experts assist with the defense of their case. Our lawyers recognize that our health provider clients require frequent updates and thoughtful deposition preparation. We achieve this goal by creating a relationship with our clients that makes them part of our defense team. We also recognize that some cases should not be brought to trial. In such cases, we have always engaged in vigorous and aggressive pre-trial tactics that allow a reasonable resolution to the client’s satisfaction.
A fast growing part of our Health Care section involves the prosecution and defense of physicians, clinics and facilities involved in disputes against large commercial insurance companies who are slow to pay, don’t pay or claim they have overpaid medical insurance claims. Our attorneys are well versed in the Texas Prompt Pay Act, ERISA and other related state and federal statutes to outmaneuver the insurance companies and improve our clients’ collections. Additionally, we have joined forces with the Austin firm of Swann and Waddill in representing the interests of healthcare providers throughout the state.
Attorneys in action:
- Pursuing pre-trial dismissal of claims against doctors and hospitals in accordance with applicable statutes.
- Engaging in thorough and aggressive pre-trial discovery in order increase chances of summary judgment on all or part of claim prior to trial.
- Frequent and meaningful meetings with clients to prepare for deposition to maximize chances for a successful resolution of the case.
- Unique expertise in deposing Plaintiff’s experts in order to undermine key aspects of the opposition’s case prior to trial.
- Utilizing years of trial experience in order to develop strong, innovative and credible defense theories.
- Representation of a major Southeast Texas Hospital Group with a multi-million dollar billing issue involving a national medical insurer.
- Representation of a large physician group in qui tam litigation brought by a former employee-turned whistle blower.
- Defending physician owned clinics against a claim seeking reimbursement of several million dollars by a national medical insurer
- Representation of a physician in contract litigation with a former employer
- Representation of a physician groups and other entities to enforce a non-compete agreement against a former employee
- Representation of physician’s and small claims in development of professional associations and other business organizations, as well as employment agreements for professional and non-professional staff.
For more information about Lorance & Thompson’s Health Care Litigation Practice, please contact us at (713) 868-5560 or via email.